Thursday, August 16, 2007

Get Your (Think) Tanks Off My Lawn

Controversy continues to rage over The Threat to Reason. In the Independent James Harkin denounces the 'toothless and muddled' version of Enlightenment that he claims to find in the book. Needless to say I am not wholly convinced by his claims. Toothless and muddled I may be, but the model of Enlightenment I champion is inhumanly clear-eyed and toothy.

You can read his review here and I have written a response to him on the Prospect blog, which you can find here. Hopefully we will have an enlightened exchange of views.

A friend and colleague of Frank Furedi, one Dolan Cummings, reviews the book here on the slightly nerve-wracking Culture Wars site. In a moment of fair-minded transparency Cummings acknowledges the link with Furedi. Not surprisingly he prefers Furedi's approach to mine - 'Furedi wants to argue with the public; Hind wants to enlighten it'. Maybe.

Meanwhile over in the much reviled mainstream media Harry Eyres has written a glowing review in the Financial Times. The comparison with Chomsky is flattering, but I am not sure he is right.

Did I ever tell you I was on that Start the Week? You can still listen to my frantic attempts to remember the book's argument here.

Meanwhile everyone appears to have been hypnotised by Richard Dawkins's latest intervention, The Enemies of Reason, in which he bravely attacks psychics, homeopaths and other threats to an enlightened understanding. Those of you who have had more than a couple of drinks with me will know how glad I am that Dawkins is still getting away with this stuff.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

TAG's continued affiliation with Formula 1 antagonism has resulted in the TAG Heuer Formula 1 Replica Panerai Watches : "the accidental sports watch aggressive by Formula 1". And of course, TAG is aswell actual able-bodied accepted for creating the Monaco that Steve McQueen wore in the acclaimed car antagonism cine "Le Mans."

12:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home